May 9, 2011

Read With Us: Ethan Frome

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton was a novel I was unfamiliar with when Nadia announced it as April's Read With Me La Porte Rouge Book Club book. Short and perhaps, unsweet, this book was over before I felt it had really begun. So many questions swirling around my head and no answers to be found by the end. I felt empty at the conclusion; as empty as Ethan, Mattie and Zeena must have felt at the sinister conclusion of this novel.

On a side note, I love that Regina Spektor sings about Ethan Frome in her song "2.99 Cent Blues". Regina is not only crazy talented (I heart her + her music), but well read too!

But when I get me all real tired
And I got no more strength to roam
I catch me a horse driven carriage ride
From a local man named Ethan Frome

He don't say much as he tips his hat
And he carries his body as heavy as lead
He could have been flying through the snow on his sled
But the wife was in bed and the horses had to be fed

1 comment:

 

My Grammar of Ornament All rights reserved
© Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger