September 27, 2012

Of the Moment: Woody Allen State of Mind



There is something about the transition of seasons from Summer to Autumn that makes me long to visit New York City. I think it must be that Fall has always been my favorite time of year and when I lived in New York City, I reveled in the changing of colors and cool crisp air. I spent hours just walking around Central Park, taking in nature's glorious transformation and wondering how, during this magical time of year, I was able to lose myself in a natural wilderness, surrounded by millions of people and a city's rough, urban, concrete exterior.


Since a trip to New York is not eminent, I decided to visit in film and who better to visit with than Woody Allen. And it's not just New York that has been resonating with me, but more so the sense of realism (and lack there of at times too) that he incorporates in his films. I appreciate that his film's endings aren't "happily ever after" - not to say they don't end on a positive note, but more of a "life isn't perfect so you got to make the best out of what life deals you." I can appreciate that, especially as I grow older.


The other day, I saw a bumper sticker on a car that had the old saying "when life gives you lemons...", but instead of "make lemonade" it said "paint that shit gold!" Either way, you just got to make do the best you can.

Annie Hall images via the thinking tank

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely collection, Susannah. This is one of my favorite movies! In fact, I was just watching it a couple of days ago. It's one of my fall go-to movies. And your feeling of fall and NYC, I totally agree! p.s. I love Woody's all-white outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charmaine! Yes, Woody's outfit is as equally awesome as Diane Keeton's menswear look. I love them both!

      Delete
  2. I don't know if you've seen Woody Allen: A Documentary on Netflix, but if not, you should. It's really well done, and it's fascinating to see him up close and personal, especially the insights into his process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that documentary on Netflix but have yet had the chance to watch it. I'll definitely make some time to do so. Thanks for the recommendation, Mary!

      Delete

 

My Grammar of Ornament All rights reserved
© Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger