October 5, 2011

Eats: Simply Cook

As I'm in the process of creating a so-called "mindful home" and re-evaluating some of my daily routines and habits, I've found I've been able to translate some of  Karen Maezen Miller's Mindful Home tips into other areas of my home life as well. Her tip about doing the laundry without resentment, well, I don't have that problem, as N usually does most all of the laundry. So in my mind, I changed her tip to read like this:

"Empty the Refrigerator and the Pantry: Do the cooking without resentment or commentary and have an intimate encounter with the very flavors of life." 


Don't misunderstand me, I do love to cook, but mostly on weekends when I have all the time I want to leisurely get a meal together. On any given weekday, after 8 hours of work, I tend to resent the fact that I have to cook a meal when I get home. N may do laundry, but he doesn't cook, at least not very often. In shifting my viewpoint towards our home, I've also shifted my view on cooking meals. If we're simplifying our life by simplifying our home, why shouldn't I also simplify cooking by simplifying the meals I'm making? Good food doesn't have to be complicated, neither does putting a meal on the table each night. A bit of inspiration and a good mindset is all that's needed.

Christopher Baker via Real Simple Magazine
Having a 7 hour flight delay last weekend sure did help me discover some great cooking inspiration, like October's issue of Real Simple Magazine featuring A Month of Easy Dinners. For me, meal ideas are what I'm lacking; once I've got an idea, I can adapt the recipe by changing out ingredients or the preparation to our liking. Shrimp tacos? Why yes, I believe we'll have those on Monday night with fresh Mexican crema and the last of the summer corn. Pasta with sausage and tomatoes? Why, I don't mind if I do, but let's make it with fresh angel hair pasta and San Marzano tomatoes instead.

Christopher Bake via Real Simple Magazine
The key is to simply cook and by cooking, enjoy all the flavors life offers us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

My Grammar of Ornament All rights reserved
© Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger