June 26, 2012

Inspiration: Stillness in the Midst of Chaos



I feel that art has something to do with the achievement of stillness in the midst of chaos. A stillness which characterizes prayer, too, and the eye of the storm. I think that art has something to do with an arrest of attention in the midst of distraction. -  Saul Bellow

It seems life has been one big distracting mass of chaos recently. We have so much hinging on one decision, a decision that isn't even ours to make, that our nerves have been frayed to their very ends and focusing on anything but this decision has been nearly impossible. Our life feels as if its been on hold for over two years now and we're more than ready to pick it back up and start living again. The one bit of solace in all this frustration has been working in my studio. I haven't had as much energy to devote to it, but when I walk into that room, pick up the colored strands of thread and begin knotting them with my tired hands, this art that I create gives me a stillness and calmness that I haven't been able to find in anything else. The world somehow seems to slow down and the questions and worries that constantly invade my thoughts somehow seem to fade away.

image credit: "favourite place" by Hannah and Landon Metz

5 comments:

  1. susannah, i know just how you feel. i am feeling that way, too. as a full time worker bee and part time 'creative', all of the worries of the real world crash away when i am at my worktable, creating. like a cleansing dip in the ocean. i just wish i could spend more time in the ocean!
    claireH
    studioHannafin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! There just never seems to be enough time for the things we love. Maybe that's why we love them so much - because we're never quite able to satiate the craving we have for them.

      Delete
  2. Boy, do I know where you're coming from. I, too, have been feeling as if life is on hold and out of my control, and I've found solace in the creating as well. Of course, I've been creating in the kitchen, but it's basically the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been thinking of you a lot recently, knowing we're in very similar positions at the moment. N has confessed that he knows its definitely been more difficult on me than it has been on him - I'm sure Shane would say the same. But somehow, through it all, I suppose women, instead of feeling powerless, turn to things they can control and find strength in. I think we're a lot better at doing that than most men are ;)

      Delete
  3. That's an excellent point that I hadn't considered! Thanks for sharing your experiences. It helps to know you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete

 

My Grammar of Ornament All rights reserved
© Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger